Beware Of Fraudulent Phone Calls And Emails
These are two common ways you may be contacted:
Attendee List Scam
A company may contact you under false pretenses and offer to sell you an attendee or exhibitor list. Please note that MINEXCHANGE does not share nor sell our member, attendee or exhibitor information. As an exhibitor, you will receive a post-conference list of attendees who have opted-in to sharing these details or by collecting the data yourself as you talk to attendees who stop by your booth. You may collect this information manually (e.g. business cards) or rent a badge scanner from Maritz Global Lead Retrieval.
Hotel Booking Scam
You may be offered hotel reservation assistance and/or discounted hotel rates. Please note that MINEXCHANGE hotels nor agents will not contact you directly to book your stay. SME has negotiated rates with local hotels that are accessible from the MINEXCHANGE website, through MINEXCHANGE registration or directly through the Exhibitor Dashboard. SME’s official housing partner is Maritz Global.
- Do not provide your personal or financial information over the phone or via email
- Resist the pressure to act immediately
- Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL) came into effect July 1, 2014. It is in place to protect Canadians while ensuring that businesses can continue to compete in the global marketplace. For more information please visit fightspam.gc.ca.
- Please refer to the MINEXCHANGE website and, when in doubt, contact us directly to verify you are working with one of our show partners.
- You can report this spam to the Federal Trade Commission here: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/assistant/. On that page, click “Something Else” then fill in the form with the details of the fraudulent email/phone call.
The Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME) brings together the mining and mineral industry’s brightest and most dedicated professionals. Over 13,000 global members advance their careers with world-class technical resources, educational programs, networking opportunities, and professional development tools from SME. Our members are focused on sharing best practices on safety, environmental stewardship, and moving mining forward. SME. Inspiring mining professionals worldwide.